Friday 6 July 2012

Mum's Best Fried Chicken

 
You know these dishes that warm your heart and bring you comfort? Take you back to your childhood? This is the one I make when I'm bit homesick and need a quick pick me up. Even the smell of this dish brings back memories of home. My mum recently reminded me about this simple chicken dish when she made it for me and my husband last time we visited my home town and we devoured it like there was no tomorrow.We were so quick in clearing our plates that we were given a new moniker. Call me locust from now on.
Funnily enough, my mum doesn't really like cooking and keeps saying that her food is blah - I think it's brilliant. I always come home with a long wishlist that involves pierogi, golabki and babka ziemniaczana (similar to a hashbrown, it's made with finely grated potatoes, onion, bacon and dried herbs). Right. I need to proceed to the recipe before I drool all over the keyboard.

To make enough for two you'll need:

2 small chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise (you should end up with flat pieces)
1 egg
breadcrumbs (enough to coat the chicken, I'd say about 3/4 of a cup)
a knob of butter plus a tbsp of butter for frying
olive oil

1/2 kg new potatoes
long cucumber, peeled

1-2 tbsp creme fraiche

salt and pepper

Place your chicken pieces on a chopping board and cover with baking parchment. Now use a rolling pin and bash the chicken to tenderize the meat. A meat mallet does a much better job, but sadly I don't have one (yet!) Oh, and who else thinks tenderising meat is a brilliant stress reliever?



Once the chicken breast is tenderized season it with salt and pepper, then put a small knob of butter in the middle.


Roll the chicken around the butter and get the egg wash ready. Crack an egg into a small bowl and break up with a fork. Put some breadcrumbs on a shallow plate. And get the potatoes boiling in a small pot. Now dip your chicken rolls into the egg wash and then breadcrumbs until evenly coated.


In a small pan, melt a tablespoon of butter with a glug of olive oil, put the chicken rolls in. Fry on a small heat turning them gently every now and then until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and the chicken is cooked.



While the chicken is frying, thinly slice the cucumber and prepare the dressing by mixing a tablespoon of creme fraiche with salt and pepper. Add cucumber slices, mix with the dressing and set aside. 

Drain potatoes and check the chicken. And you're done! Moist and buttery inside, the chicken has a nice crispy skin while the cucumber salad adds some extra crunch and freshness. Thank you Mum!!!



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...